Friday, October 1, 2010

Foul Hooked Like A Fish

It was Wednesday and the tide was in and the fishing was slower. Dave Bowers and I were working hard to catch our limit of 5 fish. I just caught my 5th and he was throwing hard to get his fifth, when whack, I got the lure in the side of the head. It was a pretty lime green vibrax treble hook. One hook cut my ear, but didn't catch. The other hook caught the side of my face. In the picture below you can just see the tip of the hook where is was cut off with pliers. Unfortunately the barb on the hook wouldn't come loose.
We went back to the cabin, had lunch, and then Layne washed it with betadine, numbed it with xlyocaine, and used a scalpel to cut through the skin and release the barb, and free the hook. He did a great job.

Layne put on a waterproof bandage gave me some keflex and I was back in the fishing business with no infection.


The end of the week and the cut is healing well. No sequelae. Dave Bowers really felt bad, but it was just an accident. He was much more careful casting though the rest of the week.





4 comments:

Deborah said...

That looks nasty!

Denton said...

Not bad for a dentist. Consider yourself lucky it wasn't a money shot to the eye.

Ben said...

You can't get all that fish without some war wounds!

Dave said...

A real man would have left the hook in as a permanent battle wound. Luckily you guys have a dentist there to perform non-dental procedures. Next time have the chiropractor give it a shot.